Hey Y’all !
It’s August again, and that means school is back in session. 6am wakeup times, lots of lunches to pack, more places to drive, you get the gist— August means busy when you’re parent. This year though, it doesn’t mean any of those things. I mean, I’m still plenty busy, but with my last kid off to college and out of the house, there are no more lunches to pack, no reasons to be up at 6am, and nobody to drive around but myself and my husband. I’ll admit to feeling a little lost without any of my boys to chase around and get together in the mornings— but you know what, I’ve also started to realize that no more kids in the house, means a hell of a lot more time for me!
Kids at home or not, it’s far too easy to neglect your mornings. Whether you’re getting your kids ready for school, on your way to ship off a new order for your small business, or both we’ve all got better things to do than make a three egg omelet and breakfast potatoes at 7am. So, for the back to school season, or for those of us whose work season never ends, I thought I’d share my own morning routine; it’s how I start my day out with some order, especially now that there are no kids in the house, and how I take time and take care to make sure I feel my best stepping out of the house everyday:
1. Hydrate: I start every day— right after I pull my sleep mask down at least— with a big glass of water. 8oz, room temperature, fresh from the tap. It’s good for skin, good for your mind, and good for your body, so why wouldn’t you?
2. Meditate: After a little water, I start the work to charge my battery up just a little more. I can’t recommend this step enough, I’m a huge fan of transcendental mediation (T.M.), and there’s no better way for me to charge my battery and clear my head before I start off into my day.
3. Walk: Most mornings I walk my two dogs, Pippi and Gilly before breakfast. There’s nothing like the feeling of fresh mountain air, and nothing like getting dragged a mile or two by your overeager pups to work up an appetite.
4. Food: After a quick jump in the shower, and throwing on some clothes, I’m right in the kitchen, and as I mentioned before, busy as I am, I tend to opt for something on the easy side. I start with a glass of hot lemon water (its great for digestion and for boosting your immune system); and then I make one of my favorite breakfasts, toast with sesame seed butter— since I can’t eat nuts— some banana slices, a little cinnamon, and a pinch of chia seeds on top. It takes five minutes to make, looks delicious, tastes incredible, and keeps me full for hours to come! Here’s a link to the post that got me on board.
5. Coffee: With all that done (apart from my skin care & makeup routine, which we might have to get to in a post all on its own), I’m almost on my way out the door, all I need is one final thing: a BIG cup of bulletproof coffee. All I do is throw some hot coffee, a tablespoon of ghee, and a tablespoon of this Brain Octane Oil in the blender, pulse it a bit, and voila my morning routine is complete. Those crystal sleep sprays don’t ship themselves, and this coffee concoction is the final thing I need in the morning to make sure my day is as productive as it can be.
And that’s all for my morning routine! And that’s all for this blog! I hope y’all enjoyed getting a little glimpse of my morning agenda— I know it’s quickly becoming an essential part of my life, especially as SleepSwag grows— and I’m so happy to be able to share it with all of you.
Thanks for reading,