What you need to get those 15 to 30 minutes of restorative bliss. Seeing someone at the work put they head down for some Zzzs, in the past, one would think…hmm. What’s wrong? Are they sick, hungover or just lazy. Well not anymore. Power napping is promoted and practiced by some of the world’s most successful people and it’s backed by science studies. The power nap basics:
- Your nap usually interrupts your working schedule.
- You have to fall completely asleep. A power nap is not resting or meditating. Practice makes perfect. Most people eventually become very efficient at falling asleep.
- A proper power nap lasts between 15 and 30 minutes. No more, no less.
- Power naps should be taken prior to 4:00 pm not to disrupt your regular nighttime sleep.
Not a Guilty PleasureWhile your boss may frown on you napping at your desk, the National Sleep Foundation has found that an afternoon nap can make you more alert, improve your performance and put you in a better mood. More and more scientific studies are confirming these findings. The point is that power napping isn’t a guilty pleasure; it has positive, healthy benefits. So don’t wait to be given permission. If you can find the right spot and feel you need it, you can train yourself to take power naps. recharj, a Washington DC’s modern meditation and napping studio provides an ideal environment to take a power nap, steps from the White House. You’ll be more energized, focused and productive after a 15 to 30-minute nap. But to join the growing number of working staffs who enjoy an afternoon power nap, know what nap essentials you should have available.
Gather Your Nap EssentialsYou don’t need expensive tools to take a power nap. The basics can come together pretty quickly, once you know what to look for. But here are the nap essentials, along with some tips:
- Sleep Mask Darkness is a major sign and signal for your body to fall asleep. Create darkness by using a good quality sleep mask as a SleepSwag sleep mask. Our sleep masks for both men and women will block out all light and are incredibly comfortable and does it oh so stylishly.
- Sound Blocker You need to return to a nighttime ambiance, so you must be able to neutralize the noises of the daytime and office environment or find a quiet place. Noise-cancelling earplugs can be expensive, but you can use some soothing noise or music or a noise app on you phone with ear buds or headphones.
- A Pillow Don’t forget this essential. A comfortable place to lay your head can make all the difference. You can find inflatable pillows and hoods, if that works for you. You can also try those U-shaped pillows favored by airline travelers. recharj, offers comfortable new-age beanbag furniture, Yogibo to catch your afternoon Zzzs on.
- Time Yes, you need to carve out 15 to 30 minutes when you can put your worries aside to recharge. Some people actually put it on their calendars, while others just wing it, pulling out their nap essentials when they notice their eyes starting to naturally close. Do what feels better to you, but give yourself that time. Use an alarm if you need to keep it short.